Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bag Musings

I'm not really a bag person.  I've become more of a shoe person I guess, since buying quality flats (like the Cantara from Naturalizer) and not wearing the same things every day (and yes, I do count myself as a style blogger sometimes.  Shocker I know).  But lately, I've found myself gravitating towards buying a bag.  One bag, one bag only.  Because I have backpacks for lugging around binders and little purses suitable for carrying around a total of a wallet and a cell phone and I have messenger bags that I don't know what to do with, but I need an in-between bag.

This prompt realization, of course, led me to hours of searching on Etsy.  I've come to realize that I want (Very specifically) a vintage, leather bag, which should be medium-sized and not white, ivory or cream.

Vintage Etienne Aigner Brown Plum Shoulder Bag with Metal Logo
 Why vintage?  Well, modern bags tend to be more expensive but made with cheaper materials (canvas, pleather, polyester).  Also, most modern styles are too ostentatious for my liking.  A more personal reason for me is also that I don't like buying leather, though it is usually better quality and more biodegradable than it's pleather counterparts.  Vintage solves that problem for me, as I know that it's less wasteful than buying new (except for shipping).

Back on the subject of bags, I sort of want to lug around all my folders in there, too.  Which leads me to this: REDUCED Vintage Leather Handled Satchel - Briefcase OxBlood Color
Though it'll be less practical, I suppose, since toting around a large briefcase is mildly suspicious at best for anyone not wearing a three piece suit(when will they come back in style?  Don't hold your breath).  But I blame my real love of satchels and school bags (backpacks are so boring) on the one and only, Proenza Schouler PS1:
Believe me, if I had an extra $2000 to spare (plus tax), my qualms about modern handbags would go out the window.  I can't even explain why I like it so much.  My adulation can be, at best, described as a combination of why-is-this-so-beautiful and holy-cows-who-has-two-thousand-to-spare.  But to whomever has change to spare and is feeling quite generous, I'm here on this blog! I would appreciate that bag!  *hint hint*

What do you think, fellow bag connoisseurs of the world? And is anyone related to a millionaire?


Image from net-a-porter.com

No comments: